D2DL – Day to Day Living in the Community Program
D2DL is a community based program which aims to improve the quality of life for individuals with mental illness by offering structured and socially based activities. D2DL also provides an opportunity for participants to develop personally and professionally as Peers.
D2DL operates a weekly service which is available to people who live with mental illness or mental distress. Each month D2DL produces a calendar of structured group activities which take place at the MHACA premises and other venues around town. Activities run daily from Tuesday to Friday most weeks. The calendar is developed in consultation with the participant group to ensure our programs meet the needs of those in this community.
In addition to structured activities, a Drop-In Centre is open Tuesday – Thursday from 8.30am to 3.00pm and Monday and Friday from 8.30am – 12pm. Drop-in includes a welcoming space where people can come and work on their recovery in a variety of ways. The program provides a comfy lounge area, kitchen facilities, and computers with internet access, an assortment of activities such as board games, library, DVD’s and music, art/craft and physical activities, as well as laundry and bathroom facilities.
The aims of the D2DL program are to
- Support people with severe and persistent mental illness who experience social isolation
- Increase the ability of people with mental illness or mental distress to participate in social, recreational and educational activities
- Assist people with mental illness or mental distress to improve their quality of life and live successfully in the community by:
- develop new skills and/or re-learn old skills
- develop social networks
- participate in community activities
- develop confidence and
- accomplish personal goals
Who can participate?
Adults living with severe and persistent mental illness are eligible for this program.
Participants who do not yet have a diagnosis will be referred to an appropriate clinical service for assessment.
Adults can self-refer to D2DL by coming into MHACA, or can be referred by a GP or other service provider.