If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis or is at risk of harming themselves or others
- Call 000
- Go to the emergency department of the local hospital
- Contact the NT Mental Health Line 1800 682 288 for advice from the Crisis Assessment and Support Team.
Phone and online services available 24 hours a day:
- Lifeline 13 11 14 www.lifeline.org.au Lifeline text service (12pm-12am AEST) 0477 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 www.kidshelpline.com.au
- Mensline 1300 78 99 78 www.mensline.org.au
- 1800RESPECT 1800 737 732 www.1800respect.org.au
- Q Life 1800 184 527 (3pm-12pm AEST) www.qlife.org.au
- Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636 www.beyondblue.org.au
If you are experiencing mental distress and need support:
- Reach out to friends and family
- See your GP or health care clinic and discuss support options or a mental health care plan
- Call a 24 hour support service like Lifeline 13 11 14 www.lifeline.org.au
- Access local support services
If you are worried about someone else experiencing mental distress:
- Reach out to the person in distress and start a conversation
- Encourage them to see a GP or health care clinic to discuss support options or a mental health care plan
- Encourage them to call a 24 hour support service like Lifeline 13 11 14 www.lifeline.org.au
- If they refuse support, keep checking in on them. If you believe they are having a mental health crisis you can call the NT Mental Health Line 1800 682 288 for advice from the Crisis Assessment and Support Team.
- In an emergency or if someone is in danger contact 000
Please note: Whilst MHACA is not a crisis service, people can call MHACA on 89504600 between 8am-4pm weekdays and we can assist you to find the supports you need.
MHACA can support people with a diagnosed mental illness on their journey of recovery. New participants are required to attend an intake interview. Find a referral form here.
Counselling Services in Alice Springs
Free phone counselling service for Territorians
Alice Springs 0459 160 742 (male counsellor)
Darwin 0427 102 809 (female counsellor)
Counselling and mediation services
Fee for service on a sliding scale, EAP provider
Phone 8950 4100
Free counselling service
Phone 1800 899 855
Free counselling and AOD counselling services
Phone 8952 5899
A range of private providers also offer services in Alice Springs.
Find a listing of NT support services at NTCommunity